Just saying those words gives me a big case of the butterflies! In preparation for this momentous time in our family history, I’ve been reviewing lists upon lists, including reports, goals and objectives and a variety of technology options that will help us pull together Matt’s big, beautiful and complex life in preparation for his upcoming move to First Place–Phoenix.
While his physical bags have yet to be packed with his personal belongings and creature comforts, in my mind’s eye we’ve been packing them for several years. And I’ve been packing a virtual wish-list bag for First Place, too.
Here’s what’s been top-of-mind, especially as First Place–Phoenix opens its doors and welcomes our very first residents (“Firsties!”) this week:
- A well-trained, competent and compassionate staff
- Fun, engaging community life activities
- Healthy habits that include daily/weekly exercise
- A special ethos of kindness led by our staff, shared by residents and experienced by neighbors
- A curious, interested, welcoming and ultimately connected community beyond First Place–Phoenix
- Businesses giving adults with autism and special abilities the chance to succeed
- Educational institutions offering opportunities for lifelong learners
- Measurable quality-of-life outcomes that focus on moving the needle in positive ways for special needs populations
- An ambitious agenda that attracts the best and the brightest collaborators and professionals, inspired to lead this new wave of housing and community options
These lists and more are coming together to build our confidence and excitement as we welcome our Firsties and help Matt pack his bags in the weeks ahead!